Granarolo dell'Emilia

The name reminds the abundance of wheat ("grano" in Italian) produced by this fertile land.

Granarolo dell'Emilia started out as an agricultural borough at the gates of Bologna and was for centuries the real granary of the city. The long-lasting traces of the Roman "centuriazione" (land-division system) are still today the most evident proof of the agricultural vocation of the territory, inhabited since time immemorial due to its position between the territory of Ferrara and the port of Spina.

Tradition recounts that one of the area's most important historical families had its origins here: the Bentivoglio family, Lords of Bologna in the 15th and 16th centuries. The founder of the noble family is said to have been born in Viadagola on the 4th May 1252, to a beautiful local peasant-girl and King Enzo of Svevia, a prisoner of the Bolognese.

In Granarolo, it is worth visiting the Church of San Vitale, rebuilt in 1682, containing a portrait of San Girolamo attributed to the Guercino. Near the church, there is the countryside residence (recently rebuild) of the explorer from Ravenna Pellegrino Matteucci, the first man to cross the African continent from the Red Sea to the Gulf of Guinea.

Also in Granarolo, there is Villa Bassi, also called Villa del Marchesino, which now hosts events.

In the surrounding countryside, over the 18th century numerous villas sprung up, some of notable architectural interest. Particular examples are Villa Amelia in Fibbia, with rooms decorated in tempera from the 17th century and noted for its "conserva" (pantry), and Villa Mareschi, in Lovoleto, with its highly particular double row of centuriesold oaks, about 1 kilometre long, lining the main avenue to the villa.

The present buildings of the five parish churches, one for each of the Town Council's hamlets, date back to the 18th-19th centuries. Perhaps the most notable for its style and frescoes is the Church of San Mamante in Lovoleto. Quite apart from the churches, this territory is characterized by its traditional country oratories. The most important are in Granarolo, Lovoleto and Cadriano.

More information

  • Distance from Bologna: 12 Km.
  • Altitude: 28 m.
  • Inhabitants: 11.910 (updated January 1st 2016)
  • Market day: Saturday
  • Patron Saint: San Vitale (April 28th)
  • Hamlets: Cadriano, Lovoleto, Quarto Inferiore and Viadagola

Recurring events

  • Verdevolo, market with biological produce and agricultural stalls: end of May
  • Quarto di Luna, procession of floats and fair: 1st weekend of June
  • Granarolo Festival: 2nd Sunday of October
  • Viadagola Festival: in Viadagola: 2nd week of June
  • Lovoleto Festival: in Lovoleto: in August and in September
  • Cadriano Festival: in Cadriano: 3rd Sunday of September
  • Granarolo in festa: 2nd Sunday of October

Guida della provincia di Bologna

The text is taken from

Guide to the province of Bologna - Valley itineraries

Discover the Guide of the province of Bologna

How to get to Granarolo dell'Emilia

By car

  • Roads from Bologna: take Via San Donato, pass the roundabout Luchino Visconti and drive on SP 5 San Donato till Granarolo dell’Emilia
  • Motorways from Bologna: A13 Motorway, exit Bologna-Interporto, turn left onto SP 3 Trasversale di Pianura, exit Granarolo dell’Emilia.

By bus

From the Bologna Bus Station, ATC Public Transport Company (for information on timetables and fares visit

  • Bus n. 88 Bologna-Cadriano-Viadagola-Granarolo
  • Bus n. 93 Calderino-Bologna-Granarolo-Baricella-Mondonuovo
  • Bus n. 301 Bologna-Granarolo dell'Emilia-Baricella-Mondonuovo

By train

From the Bologna Central Station there are no railway links to Granarolo dell’Emilia.

By plane

The Guglielmo Marconi Airport is about 16 km. from Granarolo dell’Emilia.
The BLQ Airport shuttle connects every 15-30 minutes the airport to the city centre and to the central station. Piazza XX Settembre stop to get a bus towards Granarolo dell’Emilia.


URP - Public Relations Office
Address: Via San Donato 199 - 40057 Granarolo dell'Emilia (BO)
Ph.: +39 051 6004111
Fax +39 051 6004333

Opening times:

  • Mon, Tue, Wed and Fri 8am-12.30pm
  • Thu 8am-12.30pm, 3pm-6pm
  • Sat 8.30am-12pm