The oratory is considered one of the masterpiece of the art of the whole Bologna's province. The extraordinary frescoed walls were painted by Lionello Spada e Francesco Brizio between 1612 and 1615.
The artists worked at the beginning of the 17th century with Ludovico Carracci and Guido Reni. Here they illustrate some Bible scenes taken from the Book of Genesis: the Adam's Creation, the Babel's Tower, the Three Angels visiting Abraham, the Sodoma's Destruction, the Giacobbe's Ladder and the Struggle of Giacobbe and the Angel. The only one scene from the New Testament is that of the Christ's Baptism.
Of great value is also the wooden choir inlaid and carved, dating back to the 17th century, too.
Telephone: 0039 051 6862611
- Art & Culture
The Oratory can be visited on every fourth Sunday thanks to FAI (Pieve di Cento group) guided tours.
Ph. 0039 051 6862611