The name is strictly linked to the town location, an ancient castle (Castello) situated by the Reno bank (argine).
Castello d'Argile was born and has always lived in symbiosis with the River Reno, so much so that the embankments, or more precisely the "argille" (clay) which makes its terrain so rich, are even part of its name.
In the central square, there is the Church of San Pietro of Argile, containing fragments of a precious, rare fresco attributed to Simone dei Crocifissi.
The building, which houses the City Theatre, was built in 1907 as a "Casa del Popolo" and inaugurated once more on the 25th April 2004.
Passing, perhaps by bicycle, between the cultivated fields of the surrounding plains, it is impossible not to notice the majestic, and in a certain sense surprising, Church of Santa Maria of Venazzano. Not far away in Ronchi, the Torre Marsigli is a beautiful example of tower-dovecote, probably originally defensive. Still in Ronchi, there is the Osteria della Stella, a resting place for travellers and pilgrims since the 17th century.
From the Bologna Central Station, railway line Bologna – Ferrara – Venezia, San Giorgio di Piano station. From there bus 97C Bologna-Argelato-Castello d'Argile-Cento(for information on timetables and fares visit www.trenitalia.com)
The Guglielmo Marconi Airport is about 22 km. from Castello d’Argile.
The Aerobus BLQ connects every 15-30 minutes the airport to the city centre and to the central station. Piazza XX Settembre stop to get a bus towards Castello d’Argile.
Opening times (winter):
Opening times (July and August):