The word reminds of a casale (farm house) nearby the Reno River. The Reno Valley, inhabited since the most ancient times, has always been, since the Etruscan era, an important link between Tuscany and Emilia.
Already an established holiday spot for the Bolognese aristocracy, in 1883 Casalecchio was connected to Bologna by a steam-tram and some places, such as the Caffè Pedretti, became meeting points for the cultural èlite surrounding Giosuè Carducci.
Dominating the town is the Colle della Guardia, with the massive, famous temple of San Luca, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, connected to Bologna by the longest portico in the world. Casalecchio is also directly connected to the Sanctuary by the path of the Brègoli, an ancient mule track which leads walkers and pilgrims through the woods from the Church of San Martino up to the foot of the venerated Byzantine icon of the Madonna of San Luca.
Opposite the Colle della Guardia, across the river, stands the Eremo di Tizzano that offers a notable view over Bologna and the plains.
In Casalecchio, on the River Reno, the first sluice, the Chiusa, was built in the 12th century to deviate some of the water towards the city along the Reno Canal. The sluice is still in function and along the canal, there is a lovely cycle track, allowing a peaceful transit through the greenery to Bologna.
On the right bank of the Reno, stretching over the hills leading up to the Sanctuary of San Luca, there is one of the green "lungs" which surround Bologna, Parco Talon.
Opposite Parco Talon, there is the Lido, where in summer you can sunbathe and relax on the banks of the Reno, on a beach with all the facilities of a genuine seaside resort. The famous Palasport Unipol Arena is a temple of national-level basketball and the venue for many of the region's most important pop concerts.
There are also two notable cultural centres, the "Casa della Conoscenza" and the theatre (Teatro Laura Betti) in piazza del Popolo, built in 1928 as the local seat of the "Casa del Fascio" (Fascism House). The building is graced with a loggia, intended at the time to be used for fencing.
From the Bologna Central Station (for information on timetables and fares visit www.fer.it): railway line Bologna-Vignola, Casalecchio di Reno stop.
The Guglielmo Marconi Airport is about 10 km. from Casalecchio di Reno.
The Aerobus BLQ connects every 15-30 minutes the airport to the city centre and to the central station. Piazza XX Settembre stop to get a bus towards Casalecchio di Reno.
Tourist informations about Casalecchio di Reno are provided by the UIT Colli Bolognesi (Tourist Information Office of the Bolognese Hills), located at Villa Garagnani in Zola Predosa. It also provides information on Zola Predosa, Valsamoggia and Monte San Pietro.