Where: Via 2 Agosto 1980, 118 - 40019 Sant'Agata Bolognese (BO)
The Oratory is connected to Porta Otesia and was built in 1473 by the homonymous religious order.
It is divided in two parts: the first is a sort of entrance hall in which there are two altars dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Carmine and to San Antonio of Padova, with statues by the Bolognese sculptor Filippo Scandellari.
The second part is the Oratory itself, where there is a precious wooden choir and an altar piece depicting the descent of the Holy Ghost at the Last Supper.
In 1905, the Oratory was declared a national monument, as was the village tower. It may be visited with prior booking.
The detached frescoes of the Oratory, masterpieces of 16th-century art, are now contained in the local Parish Church.
Created around 1520 by artists of refined Raffaello-esque style (the names of Nicolò dell’Abate and Bagnacavallo have been suggested), the frescoes consist of life-size figures of the Redeemer and the Apostles.
The chapel is open by appointment throughout the month of May.
To access this and other times it is always necessary to contact the parish of St. Andrea and Agata, in piazza dei Martiri 13, ph. 051 956134.
City of Sant'Agata Bolognese - Economic Development Service
Address: Via 2 Agosto 1980 n.118 - 40019 Sant'Agata Bolognese (BO)
Phone: 0039 051 6818931| 051 6818921 | 320 4297387
Thu 9am-1pm, 3pm-5.30pm
Last update: 10-07-2019