Where: Via Carlo Jussi, 171 - 40068 San Lazzaro di Savena (BO)
The Farneto Cave, one of the most famous caves hidden in the Park of Bolognese Gypsums and the Abbadessa Gullies, was discovered in 1871 by Francesco Orsoni, who carried out the first important archaeological surveys.
This cave is famous for the discovery of some burials dating back to the Copper Age by the great Bolognese speleologist Luigi Fantini in the 1960s (the finds are on display in the “Luigi Donini” Prehistoric Museum, the Archaeological Museum of Bologna and the Archaeological and Paleo-environmental Museum of Budrio).
Damaged by the quarries, the whole outcrop and the cave have been inaccessible for years because of a landslide blocking the entrance, until the implemented recovery measures have finally enabled its rehabilitation and opening to the public in 2008.
Guided tours to the Farneto Cave take place all year round. The complete calendar of guided tours is available on the web site of the Regional Park of Bolognese Gypsums and the Abbadessa Gullies.
On the occasion of the reopening of the Farneto cave in 2008, the Park presented the publication "La grotta del Farneto: una storia di persone e di natura" edited by Annalisa Paltrinieri, which, besides documenting the recovery of the whole area and the safety measures it has been provided with, tells the history of the place also through emotional contributions, accounts, and memories.
Visitors' centre “Casa Fantini” - via Jussi, 171 - 40068 Farneto di San Lazzaro di Savena.
Casa Fantini is located in the Parco dei Gessi Bolognesi e Calanchi dell'Abbadessa (Park of Bolognese Gypsums and the Abbadessa Gullies), which is part of the "'Ente Parchi e Biodiversità dell'Emilia Orientale".
Ph. 0039 051 6254821
URP - Public Relations Office
Address: Piazza Bracci 1 - 40068 San Lazzaro di Savena (BO)
Phone: +39 051 6228174
Fax +39 051 6228283
Mon, Wed and Fri 8am-12.30pm
Thu 8am-1pm, 2.30pm-6pm
Last update: 09-07-2019