Chiesa di Santa Maria di Venezzano

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Church of Santa Maria di Venezzano

Where: Via Primaria, 31 - 40050 Castello d'Argile (BO)

 
Church of Santa Maria di Venezzano - Castello d'Argile (BO)
Church of Santa Maria di Venezzano - Castello d'Argile (BO)

The church was built from 1894 on a project of engineer Francesco Gualandi in collaboration with his son Giuseppe and completed in 1933. Certainly interesting is the architectural Gothic-flowered style, not common for the area and for the period of building. The plant has a Latin cross with three naves and a polygonal apse, which is topped by a mighty dome supported by eight columns. It is one of the first examples of artistic using of the concrete material.

 

Inside are worth noting the main altar, dedicated to the Virgin, and the to side altars dedicated to San Giuseppe and to the Sacred Heart in marbled white cement. Interesting also the chapel of the Virgin of Lourdes and the Via Crucis (Way of the Cross) made of terracotta between 1927 and 1928 by monsignor Giuseppe Branchini. Branchini was the pastor who wanted to build this church. The large stained-glass windows are partially made by the architect Gallignani. Under the altar there is the organ, that is one of the last works by Giuseppe Guermandi (1850). The bell tower, built between 1863 and 1873, is a work by Giuseppe Brighenti.

 

The complex is massive and slender with the bell tower which combines a majestic neo-Gothic church with a dome 44 metres high.

 

The church is dedicated to Santa Maria di Venezzano, which is the oldest and official geographical name of the place, probabily dating back to the Roman period. Mascarino, however, is the term used to denote the same place by common people, used since 1385 and probably deriving from the presence of the rich Mascari family.

 
 
 
 
 
Info on the tourist location

URP - Public Relations Office

 

Address: Piazza Gadani 2 - 40050 Castello d’Argile (BO)

Tel. +39 051 6868812

Fax  +39 051 6868810

 
Opening times (winter):

Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri and Sat 8.30am-12.30pm
Thu 2.30pm-6.30pm

 

Opening times (July and August):

Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat 8.30am-12.30pm
Tue, Thu 8.30am-1pm

 
Maps
 
 

Last update: 11-07-2019

 

The text is taken from