Where: Piazza Andrea Costa, 17 - 40066 Pieve di Cento (BO)
The use of the theatre of the “Palazzo Pubblico” for theatrical and musical performances started in 1785.
From then on, although in a temporary manner, the theatre was regularly used until 1852, with a production of Giuseppe Verdi’s Ernani.
In the meantime, the community of Pieve considered the idea of building a new theatre, intended as an autonomous structure. The high costs of such a project led to the decision to restructure the existing one, entrusted to the engineer from Cento, Antonio Giordani, who would later also design the theatres of Cento and Crevalcore, as well as that in Maracaibo in Venezuela.
For this theatre, Giordani adopted the consolidated style of the ''teatro all’italiana''. The decoration is simple but elegant. The curtain, which is still preserved, portrays Aesop talking to the shepherds. The theatre was inaugurated in August 1856 with productions of Il Trovatore and Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi.
Closed in 1929, it remained largely unused for many years until, completely renovated, it was once more inaugurated on the 6th December 2003 with a concert.
The various rooms of the theatre, which house an extensive collection of string instruments, also contain photographs and personal objects belonging to the soprano Alice Zeppilli .
Last update: 28-01-2019