Where: Via Benassi - 40068 San Lazzaro di Savena (BO)
In the hamlet of Ponticella there is the Spipola Cave, one of the most famous caves hidden in the Park of Bolognese Gypsums and the Abbadessa Gullies, was discovered by the great Bolognese speleologist Luigi Fantini in 1932. The entry to visit the cave is at the bottom of via Benassi, in the rest area La Palazza of the hamlet of Ponticella.
Used as a refuge during the II World War, this cave is considered as one of the largest European one to have been dug in chalk.
The entrance of the Spipola Cave is mainly artificial: it was built by GBS (Gruppo Speleologico Bolognese) in 1936 at the bottom of the largest doline of Bolognese Gypsums (with a diameter of over 700 metres) including minor dolines and several swallow holes that give access to as many caves whereas large woodlands cover the bottom and the coolest slopes. Meadows, cultivated fields and a thin Downy oak interrupted by the chalk outcrops cover the sunniest areas.
The natural entrance, called Bus d'la Speppla or Buco del Calzolaio, is situated immediately above the artificial one.
Guided tours to the Spipola Cave take place all year round. The calendar of guided tours is available in the section Visite guidate (Guided tours) of this site.
Visit center “Casa Fantini” - via Jussi, 171 - 40068 Farneto di San Lazzaro di Savena.
Casa Fantini is located in the Parco dei Gessi Bolognesi e Calanchi dell'Abbadessa (Park of Bolognese Gypsums and the Abbadessa Gullies), which is part of the "'Ente Parchi e Biodiversità dell'Emilia Orientale".
Ph. 0039 051 6254821
URP - Public Relations Office
Address: Piazza Bracci 1 - 40068 San Lazzaro di Savena (BO)
Phone: +39 051 6228174
Fax +39 051 6228283
Mon, Wed and Fri 8am-12.30pm
Thu 8am-1pm, 2.30pm-6pm
Last update: 09-07-2019