Where: Via Croara, 21 - 40068 San Lazzaro di Savena (BO)
In the hills to the south of San Lazzaro di Savena, it is worth visiting the Abbey of Santa Cecilia della Croara.
The complex of buildings was declared Monument messenger of a culture of peace by Unesco. This recognition is extended to the whole architectural complex including the church, the cloister, the former convent, the bell tower and the remains of the small cemetery.
The date of the building of the church is unknown; the first official document that proves its existence is dated November 14th, 1095. Its present structure dates back to the 19th century, while the frescoed cloisters still have the 16th-century structure intact.
It also houses some very interesting painting, in particular a beautiful altar piece with the infant Jesus attributed to Annibale Carracci, but also two paintings by Mastelletta (one of Santa Cecilia and the other of San Girolamo) and a painting of the school of Guido Reni representing Sant'Antonio da Padova.
(taken from: "San Lazzaro di Savena: la storia, l'ambiente, la cultura" edited by Werther Romani, Cassa rurale ed artigiana/Comune di San Lazzaro di Savena, 1993)
During the summer time the cloister of the abbey hosts classical music concerts.
Timetable: Saturday 4.30pm-6pm; Sunday and holidays 9.30am-12pm
Ph. 0039 051 482075
URP - Public Relations Office
Address: Piazza Bracci 1 - 40068 San Lazzaro di Savena (BO)
Phone: +39 051 6228174
Fax +39 051 6228283
Mon, Wed and Fri 8am-12.30pm
Thu 8am-1pm, 2.30pm-6pm
Last update: 09-07-2019