Canale Emiliano-Romagnolo

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The Emiliano-Romagnolo Canal

Where: Via Coronella, 46/48 – 40015 Galliera (BO)

 
Crevenzosa lifting apparatus of  Galliera - Canale Emiliano-Romagnolo
Crevenzosa lifting apparatus of Galliera - Canale Emiliano-Romagnolo

The Emiliano-Romagnolo Canal (CER) in Galliera, created in the second half of the 20th century, is the latest great engineering work in the thousand-year-old history of controlling the waters of the plains.

 

The canal serves to bring water from the Po into Romagna for irrigation and is easily distinguished from the other canals both for the contrary direction of its current, and for its cement embankments.

 

The first idea for its creation dates back to 1620, when Abbot Tirelli of Reggio Emilia presented Duke Cesare d’Este with a “project to extract water from the Po above Piacenza to irrigate this province and those of Parma, Reggio, Modena and Bologna”.


The first articulated project was the work of the Bolognese engineer Annibale Certani, presented in 1863 and soon abandoned for political reasons. The idea only began to take hold much later, thanks in part to the efforts of Engineer Mario Giandotti, commissioner of the Consortium for Canal Management, set up in 1939.

 

The onset of the Second World War held up the project once more, but in 1947, it finally took shape by combining the need to defend against flooding from the Reno with that of irrigation for the plains of Bologna and Romagna, and definitively shifting the point of contact with the Po to Bondeno, on the border between Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy and Veneto. The real work began in 1955.

 

Today the CER is a complex water system, which, while maintaining irrigation as its primary mission, also serves for civil, environmental and tourist functions.

 
Info
How to get there

The text is taken from
 
Info on the tourist location

Mayor's Office Staff (Segreteria del Sindaco)

 

Piazza Eroi della Libertà, 1 - 40015 San Vincenzo di Galliera (BO)

Ph.: +39 051 6672913 

Fax +39 051 6672999

 

Opening times:

Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri and Sat 8.30am-12.30pm

Wed 8.30am-1.30pm

 

Maps
 

Last update: 11-07-2019