salta ai contenuti
Turismo in Pianura
 

Official Tourist Site of the Pianura Bolognese

Crevalcore

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Piazza Malpighi - Provincia di Bologna
Piazza Malpighi - Provincia di Bologna

First mentioned in 1130, the origin of the name is uncertain. It appears to have come from the word "crepa(tum) corium", meaning cracked crust, to designate a marshy area turning in summer in a dry and cracked ground.

 

 

The historical centre of Crevalcore still maintains almost all of the original layout created between the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular regarding the buildings facing onto the main street. The visual effect is undoubtedly fascinating, so much so as to have provoked the enthusiasm of the great art historian Francesco Arcangeli.

In the central square, a bronze sculpture dated 1897 commemorates Crevalcore's most famous son, the scientist Marcello Malpighi.

In the Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall) there are still some traces of work by the famous decorative artist Gaetano Lodi.

As with San Giovanni and Sant'Agata Bolognese, it worth to be mentioned the historical Communal Theatre, inaugurated in 1881.

The new Library houses an historical archive containing the important "Cabrei", historical maps belonged to the Pepoli family.

Puppets are strongly linked to the traditions of these lands and to the commedia dell'arte, and Crevalcore has dedicated a museum to them (temporarily closed).

Just as interesting as the historical centre of Crevalcore is its vast territory, scattered with extraordinary country villas, here called "castles" temporarily closed: Palata Pepoli, with its notable porticoed courtyard and beautiful doors in rococò style; Galeazza Pepoli, constructed around the imposing 16th century tower; Bevilacqua, a typical Bologna senatorial recidence and Ronchi, composed of a 16th-century noble house and an elegant 18th-century church with an elliptical layout, now belonging to the local council.

A few kilometres away stands the Oratory known as La Rotonda, commissioned by Maria Vittoria Caprara as an ex voto and built between 1765 and 1768 by the architect Fancelli, a student of Dotti.

 
 
More information
Distance from Bologna:
31 Km.
 
Altitude:
14/23 m.
 
Inhabitants:
13.465 (updated January 1st 2016)
 
Market day:
Tuesday
 
Patron Saint:
San Silvestro (December 31st)
 
Hamlets:
Bevilacqua, Bolognina, Caselle, Galeazza Pepoli, Palata Pepoli and Sammaritini.
 
Recurring events

Flower Festival: first Sunday after the beginning of Spring
Quattro passi nel Medioevo, at Villa Ronchi of Bolognina: beginning of May

Naturalia, festival dedicated to natural products and treatmentsi: first week end of June

Festa dell'estate in valle, summer festival with gastronomy, in the hamlet of Beni comunali: July
Fish Festival, in Galeazza: July

Tortellino Festival, in Bevilacqua: July

Fiera del Carmine, agricultural, industrial and commercial fair: third Sunday of July

Fierone di settembre or La Tavolata in piazza, a public feast along the town's main street: September
Sagra dei primi piatti, first course dishes festival, in Bevilacqua: September
In baraca al castel, great fun at the castle with shows, exhibitions and food, at Villa Ronchi di Bolognina: September
Palata Pepoli Festival, in occasion of St. Mary's feast: third week of September
Festival of Flavours: October.

Information

URP - Public Relations Office

 

Address: Via Persicetana - 40014 Crevalcore (BO)

Ph: 0039 051 988443 - 051 988435 - 051 988438

Fax: 0039 051 988459


Opening times:
Mon, Wed and Fri 8.30am – 12.30pm
Tue 8.30am-12.30pm, 5pm-7pm
Thu 5pm-7pm
Sat 9am-12pm

Closed in the afternoon during July and August

 

Last update: 01-02-2019
More information
 

The text is taken from
 
 
 
A cura della Redazione Pianura Bolognese
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
torna ai contenuti torna all'inizio