Torre di Santo Stefano

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tower of Santo Stefano

Where: Via Mazzini - 40062 Molinella (BO)

 
Tower of Santo Stefano - Provincia di Bologna
Tower of Santo Stefano - Provincia di Bologna

From a historical point of view, Molinella still has some interesting traces of the warlike past of the plains.


In the centre of the town, the lovely Tower, the Torre di Santo Stefano is all that remains of the ancient castle built by the Bolognese to defend the border with Ferrara. Its present appearance is the result of rebuilding in 1404, after Alberto V d’Este, an ally of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, had destroyed it in 1390 along with the rest of the castle.

Changed into a bell-tower in the mid-16th century, its original merlons have been replaced by a bizarre crowning surmounted by a small four-arched tower which acted as the belfry.

A date to be remembered is that of the Battle of the Riccardina, the 25th July 1467, the first occasion of a massive employment of firearms.

 
 
 
How to get there
 
 
 

The text is taken from
 
 
Info on the tourist location

URP - Public Relations Office

 

piazza A. Martoni 1 - 40062 Molinella (BO)

Ph: 0039 051 6906833 – 34
Fax: 0039 051 887219
Toll-free number: 800 215 697


Opening times

Tue, Wed, Fri and Sat 8am-11am
Mon and Thu 8am – 11am, 3pm-6pm

 

 
Maps
 
 

Last update: 10-07-2019