Where: Corso Italia, 72 - 40017 San Giovanni in Persiceto (BO)
The Politeama theatre was built in 1786 by the architect Giuseppe Tubertini.
The present atrium, decorated with two plaster statues of Alfieri and Goldoni, dates back to 1850. A few years later, the ceiling of the stalls was painted with chiaroscuro motifs by the famous decorative artist Andrea Pesci (also responsible for decorating the buildings of Palazzi Malvasia, Malvezzi, Paleotti and Simonetti in Bologna) and his young student Gaetano Lodi.
In 1860, the renovated theatre was inaugurated with a production of Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto.
The interior still has the complete 18th-century structure: particularly effective is the beautiful proscenium with two tall golden Corinthian columns crowned by an elegant trabeation. Used as a grain store during the First World War, then turned into a cinema and damaged in the Second World War, it has now been restored to its complete original splendour. Today it hosts shows, concerts, conventions and conferences.
Tel: 0039 800.069678
Last update: 28-01-2019